Sunday, August 9, 2009

Retirement

Tomorrow morning I drop off my work phone, my name tag, my nurse bag,and my key. I'm done. No more work. Im retired (again). No more nurse. I have a more profound sense of what it means to be a nurse. It has defined me and given me purpose. This career gave me self worth and value. It made me a far better person, at least at work, than I thought possible.Its scary to give up this inner confidence and value.
On the other hand, I now don't have any excuse for not exploring all the other fun things life has to offer. I get quiet time, and Yoga and exercise time, coffee time, and volunteer time. Maybe...I'll even see if I can compose a grammatical and interesting paragraph or two. I can write real letters to the grandkids and think about family birthdays before (gasp!) they occur. I can learn to cook healthy meals and clean the floors. I can relax. I can read. I can research interesting information...and learn to sew. Really sew not just a wobbly line. And I can find time to discover my man again. I think he might like that. Or not!

1 comment:

Heather said...

And don't forget the mentoring. Your knowledge base and experience has taught me much in my own career. Thank you for paving the way for me. You will always be an amazing nurse, badge or not.