Monday, September 28, 2009

End of Summer

Summer days are shortening. Evening light slips into the backyard much earlier. The sun sets noticeably farther south than a few weeks ago. It all seems sudden despite the constant subtle changes. The leaves are getting brittle and rustling but havent begun to fall. It makes me ponder the loveliness of an evening on the back deck, overlooking the field, perusing the softening crest of the nearby mountains.Blues and greys steal down the upper slopes and darken to emerald carpets and golden pastures. It's too far to see details of deer but close enough to see clumps of trees and fissures.
These gentle hours remind me of another favorite place. My friends back yard. They live on an acre or 2 of land bought many years ago from an aging couple who gardened. Its no longer a manicured area but a wild and delightful estate.My friend has tucked bulbs and woodland flowers into more traditional settings. We see  ferns or a trillium peeking out between azaleas and rhododendrens, ducks and brilliant blue jays streaking through the cherry tree, squirrels chittering over the pond...a paradise found. And lazing on a chair , chatting with her, in this place, is one of my favorite things.
So sitting in my own chair of a an early fall evening overlooking natures artistry, brings to mind soft reminders of many delightful times spent looking out at dusty pink coneflowers and discussing girl things....good times.

1 comment:

High Maintenance Mouth said...

I love summer (my favorite season), so I'm bummed it's almost over. I felt like I missed most of it this year. I plan to enjoy it to the fullest next time it comes around! :)