Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Going to the Sea

I have a fridge magnet that says "I go to the sea to breathe". We are going to the ocean soon and I always feel excited about that first deep slow breath of salt tinged cool air. And the first peek of slate gray coastline.
The Pacific Ocean is a powerful place....the rugged rocks, twisty coastal roads, the long open beaches ( thanks oregon legislature). Some of my earliest memories are from the beach. My grandparents used to take me to go agate hunting. I remember being so awhirl at finding the perfect pearl like translucent rock. Each pebble was a jewel of course worthy of any national treasury. We would take home these treasures in our sand littered jacket pockets, and put them in Grandpas tumbler. Out would come magnificent shiny stones that sat in the palm of our hands glistening, better than any gold nugget. I still have a small tin of polished stones. And each time I feel the cool smooth touch of these polished agates across my hand, Im instantly back on the beach, my back turned upwind, my jacket hood up, my eyes shining; , calling "Grandpa, look, LOOK!"

No comments: