Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Women and Aging

I have women friends who are aging. One person is very concerned with this process. She is not happy with the slight soft sag of her cheeks, the laugh lines that accumulate around eyes and mouth. She fights it. Grumps about aging; diets, exercises. She is unhappy about her age. And yet she is very beautiful.She looks 20 years younger than her passport must state. She has traveled and raised good human beings and had a career. She ages next to a husband who is lively and well and handsome and interested in her. Why this rage at aging? What do these signals mean to her?
Several other women come to mind who are similar in age. No pretense. Yes , wouldnt we all like to keep the tight buttocks of our teen years. But would our faces then reflect all the wonderous things we've seen and done?
One of my favorite 'girls' wears little makeup. Her laugh lines are prominent. Her eyes light up when she talks. Her hips are rounder than when I first met her. She became a Grandma this year. And now there is a slightly softer spot on her thighs to cuddle the bundle of joy who will look so like her someday.
Our DNA mistakes add up. The toll of our lifestyles settles into our lines. Our indulgences do tell. Somehow, I dont mind too much. I dont feel I have to compete with younger, fitter women. I want my face to have wrinkles . I hope I get lots of laugh lines.

1 comment:

Heather said...

You could also add "Women and Pregnancy." It always looks so cute and miraculous on everyone else!