Saturday, March 14, 2009

Quotes

I read a quote today attributed to Gandhi:" An eye for an eye will only make the whole world blind".It instantly made me think of politics and policies and world concerns. And relationships.And families.
When we are hurt or confused by an act or a word or action, we close the door to that space, metaphorically speaking.
Our instinct is to protect ourselves, our concerns, our beliefs. Perhaps the instinct was good back in the caveman days .
What would happen if we were able to keep the door wedged open? I visualize a large,rough, moss cratered, muddy rock holding open the door. Not easy to move to the opening. Begrudgingly rolled to that place. But the door is open. The spill of enlightenment could eek through.
I'm not to happy to bring out my treasures of forgiveness, of understanding; of a smile. I'd rather be mad, or put upon, or right! But I think I'll sit upon my chair, with my cup of tea, near the light...and see what comes through.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Super wise.

Kelsey said...

that is so brilliant. I will be using that image to help myself for a long time. That was beautiful.